So, you have been using Microsoft Outlook, but suddenly you face a problem in logging in to your account. Microsoft Outlook allows you to connect to an outside POP3 or IMAP email host for sending and receiving email. In case you have changed your password on the email host, then you will be required to change the password in the Outlook client also to match. If the two passwords are not matching, then the client will receive an error message. This will happen each time whenever the client tries to receive or send a mail in Outlook. How To reset email Outlook password, you can change it directly from Outlook’s account information settings. Below are the steps on how to reset email Outlook password:
- Click on “File” icon.
- Go to Account information section.
- Click on “Account settings”. A drop-down menu will appear
- Select “Account settings” from the menu.
- Choose your email account and go to “change”.
- A screen will be displayed with your present Outlook settings information.
- Now, in the password text box, type your new password. Note, your new password should match the password being used by your POP3 or IMAP email account.
- Check the box near to “Remember password”.
- Click “Next”.
- Click “Finish” to complete.
Recover Outlook Password by Resetting Microsoft Account Password
Microsoft is the default account type for Outlook, Skype, Xbox, One drive etc. Changing your Microsoft account password will automatically change your Outlook password. Though using this trick may mess up with the settings of all your Microsoft services, still if you don’t have any option you can follow these steps to unlock Outlook account password
- Go to https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx .
- When the site gets opened, click on “I forgot my password”. Click Next.
- Now enter the email address or phone number associated with your Microsoft account. Click Next.
- You will be asked to choose an option in which you want to get your security code. You have two options, either give your phone number or the alternate email address to receive the security code.
- Once you get the security code, enter it in the required field. And click on “Next”.
- Now create a new password for your Microsoft account. Confirm the changes. Always create a strong password using numbers, letters and characters.
- Now you have successfully changed your Microsoft account password. Try to login using your new password.
- In case you don’t have access to your recovery phone number or email address, this method will not work for you.
- If Microsoft is not your default account type for Outlook, then also its method is not applicable.
The Outlook.com password and Microsoft account password is same. Outlook connects you to an outside POP3 or IMAP email host to facilitate sending and receiving of email. When you change the password on email host that means you have to reset the Outlook password in the client also to match and if it doesn’t match, the client will get an error every time you send or receive email in Outlook. To reset email Outlook password using the below method.
Steps to Reset Email Outlook Password
- Go to File tab and navigate to Account Information section.
- Click on “Account settings” and go to “Account settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Select your email account from there and click on Change.
- You will be transferred to new screen displaying your current Outlook settings information.
- Type the new password in the space provided. This password should be same as your POP3 or IMAP email account.
- To “Remember password” check the box next to it.
- Click on Next and then Finish.
Second Method to Reset Email Outlook Password.
- On the official Outlook page, click on “I forgot my password”. Click on Reset your password option that is just below I forgot my password.
- Now, reset your password page will open.
- Enter your correct email address here and enter the characters shown in the picture.
- Click on NEXT.
- They will now provide you two password reset options that are- either email me a reset link or Send a code to my phone. (for phone you have to enter last four digits of your phone number and then click on Send code)
- Select the mode which is most suitable to you.
- If you have selected option of email you will get a password reset link and for phone you will get a code.
- Go to your recovery mail and click on the reset link. You will be asked to enter a new password, re-enter it to confirm.
- Click on the next button to complete the process.
- In case you have opted to receive a code on your phone, enter the password reset code in the code box. Click on Submit button.
- Enter your new password and re-enter it to confirm. Click on Next.
After successfully changing your Outlook password, you will be redirected to a new page where you can add or update your number, alternate email address, and the security question. Make sure you remember these changes, as they will be very helpful in the future if you face similar problem.